Thursday, March 26, 2015

Good things of life

Colette (to Linguini): “How do you tell how good bread is without tasting it? Not the smell, not the look, but the ‘sound’ of the crust. Listen (she presses the bread between her hands).

Colette: “Oh, symphony of crackle. Only great bread sound this way.”

— From ‘Ratatouille,’ 2007


© Prashant C. Trikannad
This morning, the trains and streets in South Mumbai were relatively empty, maybe because of a crucial world cup cricket match between Australia and India where cricket is like religion. Fortunately, I have no interest in the game. As you can see, I had the footpath all to myself. I made my way from Marine Lines station to an Irani restaurant at Dhobi Talao close to my office and had Brun Pav-Maska and tea laced with cream I hadn’t asked for.

‘Brun Pav’ or ‘Kadak Pav’ is hard bread, a cousin of the French baguette, and ‘Maska’ is butter in Hindi. It is usually had with a morning cup of 
Chai or tea.

© Prashant C. Trikannad
The Brun Pav was a tease; it was no bigger than a saucer. It was squarish rather than round and not very crusty. Not like the ones I ate in my childhood, in the home of my maternal grandparents. Those were the size of cheese plates, and scrumptious and filling. Yes, even bread can be tasty, especially Kadak Pav, provided it is crusty, dripping with melted butter, and had with tea.

Brun Pav-Maska, as the term goes, is a popular morning delicacy in Mumbai and one of the few good things of life that’s still around.

4 comments:

  1. I am a big fan of bread, and make my own a couple times a week. I'm going to look up Brun Pav and Kadak Pav. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nan, both Brun Pav and Kadak Pav are one and the same. They refer to hard bread as pictured above. In Hindi, Kadak means hard and Pav means bread.

      Delete
  2. Thanks. I did find a recipe and will try it soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nan, you're welcome. Brun Pav is likened to a baguette though I haven't had the latter in a long time.

      Delete